Here are some events happening for people not in San Francisco for a change. Canadian Mist is doing a Science of the Cocktail tour with information about:
• Ice – How to cool your drink down without watering it down. Ice shavings versus ice cubes (surface area)
• Movement – "Shaken vs. Stirred"
• Carbonation – Talk about how to keep carbonation in your cocktail / bottle of champagne. Discuss how carbonation carries flavor.
• Mixing – Why it is important to pour the alcohol in first and then the mixer (specific gravity).
• Garnish – How do garnishes affect the cocktail (pH Levels)
• Glassware – Does the shape really matter?
The tour stops in:
December 10, 2009 / Memphis, TN / Brooks Museum of Art
January 7, 2010 / Knoxville, TN / Knoxville Museum of Art
February 11, 2010 / Charlotte, NC / Mint Museum of Art
March 11, 2010 / St. Petersburg, FL / Museum of Fine Arts
More info is here.