It's time for Bay Area residents to start making plans for Labor Day weekend Sept 4-7. Why? Because the Bay Bridge will be closed for seismic upgrades. This is not a bad thing at all: BART will run trains 24 hours during the interruption, and that means drinkers can party in either city and get back home safely.
For city residents, a visit to Oakland is probably long overdue. I know it is for me. Here are some suggestions of places to visit from my own "bars to visit" spreadsheet. (Of course I have one, don't you?)
- Camino: A restaurant with a cocktail menu designed by Thad Vogler using only spirits from non-industrially grown crops and in-season citrus.
The cocktail menu was designed by Jonny Raglin of Absinthe. Each drink
is available in a classic and locavore version, made with local
- The Den at the Fox: This newish bar is attached to the Fox Theater.
- Pican: A restaurant with a focus on bourbon.
- Adesso: a gastropub with cocktails.
- Grand Tavern: A restaurant with classic cocktail list.
- Penelope: Another gastropub with an interesting cocktail menu.