In the Sugar Spirit Project, I've had to use several sources to research material, so I figured I'd list them on this page should you want to read them yourself or check my work.
I'll add to the list as I use more resources.
- Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History By Sidney W. Mintz (1985). This book traces the history of sugar but is primarily a sociological study of sugar consumption in England. It traces how sugar became so popular so fast.
- Sugar: A Bittersweet History By Elizabeth Abbott (2008). In-depth sugar history, spread of sugar, lasting effects of sugar production, finals notes on environmental concerns. Contains a lot of information on sugar and the slave trade.
- Sugar.org, the website of the Sugar Association. Some brief but good information in the Downloads section.
- The Wikipedia entry for Sugar is surprisingly good.
- The sugarcane Wikipedia entry is not bad either.
- The USDA plants database entry is pretty cool.