I am excited to announce the launch of the Water Project on Alcademics, which will run for at least the next four months.
I'll be researching such topics as:
- Water basics, types of natural water and its properties
- Water in fermentation and distillation
- Water sources used in distillation around the world
- Tap and bottled waters
- Dilution of spirits with water to bottle strength
- Dilution at serving time and the Bourbon and Branch concept
- Carbonated water (both natural and man made)
- Mineral waters and how to make them at home
- Water in cocktails such as Whisky Highballs
- And much, much more.
Some of this information will also make its way into my talk on Water in Cocktails and Spirits at Tales of the Cocktail, but I realized that it will take a lot more research and information than I'll be able to convey in that hour-and-a-half seminar. So I figured I'd share my learning process with y'all as it goes.
Bowmore Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky has generously agreed to support the project. As it turns out, they'll be leading a Water and Whisky educational program this year at A Taste of Islay: Bowmore, Bivalves and Blindfolds event on July 16 hosted by yours truly!
I'll keep you posted with links and information on that project, live events, and educational opportunities, but the first thing you should do is go sign up for their giveaway: They're gifting a very cool tilting water dispenser among other prizes. Sign up of their Facebook Page or go directly to the Bowmore website.
I am very excited about this project. I have stacks of books to read, websites to pour through, and lab scales to buy. It's gonna get real nerdy up in here. I hope you enjoy it.