Potato Festivals Around the US and a Few in Other Countries
October 27, 2014
I probably should have looked at the number of potato festivals around America before I decided to start on a blog post listing them. There are a lot.
Most of these events take place in the fall, typically September.
- Spring Valley, Ohio Potato Festival
- Barnesville, Minnesota Potato Days
- Nicholas County Potato Festival in downtown Summersville, West Virginia
- Munger Potato Festival, Munger, Michigain
- Mantua Potato Festival, Mantua, Ohio
- Ebensburg PotatoFest, Ebensburg, PA
- North Carolina Potato Festival, Elizabeth City, North Carolina
- Edmore Potato Festival, Edmore, Michigain
- Lower Richland Sweet Potato Festival, Hopkins, South Carolina
- Nicholas County Potato Festival, Summersville, West Virginia
- Sand Mountain Potato Festival, Henagar, Alabama
- Manhattan Potato Festival, Manhattan, Montana
- Long Island Potato Festival, New York
- Golden Sweet Potato Festival, Golden, Texas
- Wayland Potato Festival, Wayland, New York
- Potato Festival/Festival De La Patate, Grand Falls, New Brunswick, Canada
- Posen Potato Festival, Posen, Michigain
- Vardaman Sweet Potato Festival, Mississippi
- Flagler County Potato Festival, Palm Coast, Florida
- Klamath Basin Potato Festival, Oregon
- North Branford Potato and Corn Festival, North Branford, CT
- Alliston Potato Festival, Alliston, Ontario
- New Galilee Gilkey Potato Festival, Pennsylvania
- Georgia Sweet Potato Festival, Ocilla, Georgia
- Portage Potato Fest, Canada
- Klamath County Potato Festival, Oregon
- California Sweet Potato Festival, Livingston, CA
- Darlington Sweet Potato Festival, Darlington, South Carolina
- Potato Festival, Dagsmark, Finland
- Potato Festival, Bunnell, Florida
I made this list as I was working on a project with Karlsson's Vodka studying potato vodka, its history, production, celebration, etc.
In Sweden there is an annual celebration when the new crop of potatoes come out of the ground. The first bundle of skinless heirloom early potatoes ("färskpotatis" which sounds like "freshpotatoes" when spoken, also called "new" or "virgin" potatoes) is auctioned off for a huge amount.
Then the restaurants are flooded with these potatoes which are served in simple preparations and often accompany fish dishes.
I visited Sweden during this time and ate my weight in potatoes. More about my visit is here or visit the Karlsson's Vodka website.
Edmore Potato Festvil second weekend in Spet.
Posted by: joelle betts | September 17, 2019 at 10:40 AM
Posted by: Camper English | September 17, 2019 at 10:56 AM