I wrote up a story for Eater.com on the best bars in which to get non-alcoholic cocktails in San Francisco. This post has more than that, below.
My criteria on creating the list was:
- Must have at least three non-alcoholic cocktails.
- The cocktails must be on the menu. Every place will tell you they're happy to make non-alcoholic cocktails but then when you ask the bartender they're absolute jerks about it. (Pet peeve of mine.)
- They must be real cocktails, not just "options" like ice tea with lemon.
- They should be served in a real cocktail bar. We considered coffee/tea places and take-out places but they were so far apart from the rest we didn't include any. The most different from the rest was The Ice Cream Bar.
But I found a lot more than just the 14 we put in the story. I wanted to give props to other bars that meet the criteria in San Francisco.
- Evil Eye in the Mission has 3 cocktails with Seedlip always on the menu, and I think they're doing an extra push for Dry January.
- Pabu has 3 options (but I already included another Michael Mina restaurant Trailblazer Tavern so we didn't want to over-spotlight anyone).
- Bellota has 4 "sparkling refreshers" but same as above with the Absinthe Group.
- Linden Room at Nightbird seems to have three on the menu, but they're not on the regular menu and I couldn't confirm with ownership.
- Elda has 3 mocktails, I think listed on the bar book rather than the short menu
- Elixir across the street from Elda is launching a new Low- and No-ABV menu but it wasn't served at press time
- Noosh has a lot, but the restaurant is "in transition" to put it nicely
- One Market has 3 mocktails but they're kinda basic
- Palette (on Folsom, not Tea House) 3 drinks with Lyre's or Seedlip
- ABV upped their n/a cocktail list, I think I saw 4 recently.
I was initially looking in the whole Bay Area but decided to stick to SF. So here are just a few others I had in my notes before I stopped pursuing outside the city.
- Copper Spoon – 3 drinks sodas
- Sidebar – 3 drinks for Dry January in partnership with Seedlip
- Bardo Oakland – 4 NA cocktails
- Here's How
- Fern Bar Sebastopol – 5 NA drinks most with Seedlip
- Dukes Healdsburg - 5 homemade sodas plus 4 NA soda-based cocktails
South of San Francisco
- Meso – 3 Seedlip cocktails
- Manresa Los Gatos – 4 cocktails plus 3 spritzers
- ROOH Palo Alto – opening soon
- The Sea by Alexander’s Steakhouse – has 3 plus 12 boozy ones
- Vino Enoteca has 3 Seedlip special drinks for Dry January
- http://www.soifwine.com/ “usually has 3-4 options”