Tonic Water: AKA G&T WTF by Camper English.
This is a deeply researched but lighthearted look at the history of the Gin and Tonic from 1630 to today, including:
- How a misunderstanding of disease led to the discovery of quinine.
- The history of carbonated water and where pig bladders come in.
- How in Little House on the Prairie, “Ma” thinks you get malaria from eating watermelons.
- How quinine was responsible for the invention of the color mauve.
- Why the military threw cats out of airplanes on Borneo.
- How Ginger Rogers' great-great-great grandfather made his fortune.
- Perhaps the earliest print reference to the Gin & Tonic in India.
- How the Spanish Gin & Tonic renaissance is due to ice machines.
- Where Dr. Seuss fits in with the history of the drink.
The book contains 35 hand-drawn illustrations from one of the great artists of our time. Just kidding! I drew them all so they're pretty terrible. Click on that page to pull up an illustration of a cat with a parachute.
Tonic Water AKA G&T WTF is a short version of an ultra-epic book of the same history I hope to publish a couple years from now. Support your local tonic water historian!
The book is available as an ebook on Amazon Kindle. It should be available for sale on all international Amazon sites as well. It costs $4.99 US and the equivalent in international currency.
Get it on Amazon USA here, or on these international Amazon sites:
Print Copy: Shipping to US Addresses
Books are $10 each plus shipping and fees, which comes out to:
- $13 for 1 book with First Class US Mail shipping (*US addresses only*)
- $25 for 2 books sent Media Mail (sometimes takes a few days longer, also *US only* for now)
- $35.50 for 3 books sent Media Mail to US address
- $46.00 for 4 books sent Media Mail to US address
You can buy the book using PayPal below or by following this link to the Alcademics Square store. (Same price at both places.)