Alcademics.com is journalist Camper English's blog about cocktails, spirits, bars, and bartenders, as well as the place to find links to Camper's published work on other sites.
Techniques developed and reported on Alcademics have been widely implemented in bars around the world from Seattle to Singapore, including methods for making clear ice and uses for dehydrated liqueurs.
About Camper English
Camper has visited over 120 distilleries, blending houses, and bodegas in more than 20 countries, has judged cocktail contests locally and internationally, is a member of the United States Bartenders' Guild, passed the prestigious B.A.R. course, and won numerous writing awards.
True story: He once gave a talk about ice... in Iceland.
In addition to his work as a journalist, Camper is a:
- Frequent speaker at trade and consumer cocktail events.
- Consultant to bars and brands, and cocktail competition judge.
- Cocktail creator for events and tastings
Contact him here:
Camper English has written for the following publications:
7x7 Magazine [sample]
Alaska Airlines Magazine
Beverage Media [sample]
Caviar Affair [sample]
Difford's Guide/CLASS Magazine
Drinks International [sample]
Every Day with Rachael Ray
Executive Travel [sample]
Fine Cooking [sample]
Lonely Planet Guides
Los Angeles Times Magazine [sample]
Modern Farmer [sample]
San Francisco Bay Guardian
San Francisco Chronicle [sample]
San Francisco Magazine
SilverKris (Singapore Airlines Magazine) [sample]
Tasting Table [sample]
Wine & Spirit (UK)
Wine & Spirits
Education, Awards and Affiliations
Camper studied physics as an undergraduate and computer science in grad school. The drinking and writing he just picked up as he went along. Camper is a member of the United States Bartenders' Guild, has passed the BARSmarts program and the prestigious B.A.R. course in New York. Camper was inducted into the first American chapter of the Ordre International des Anysetiers in 2012.
- Camper won the Best Cocktail Writing award at Tales of the Cocktail in 2011, the industry's highest writing honor.
- Camper's website Alcademics.com won a San Francisco Bay Guardian Best of the Bay award in 2011 as "Best Liquor Lowdown."
- Camper English was the recipient of the Legends Award at San Francisco Cocktail Week in 2012.
- He was also awarded International Cognac Writer of the Year for 2014.
Disclaimer Regarding Samples and Trips
As a blogger and journalist, I frequently receive samples of spirits, tools, books, and other freebies, and partake in press trips sponsored by brands, destinations, and industry groups. While not all products and places discussed on this site have been provided by 3rd parties, readers of Alcademics.com should assume that any product or destination mentioned on this site has been provided or paid for by a 3rd party.